How To Make a Homemade Lotion using Cocoa Butter
When you apply moisturizer, you’re putting a barrier between your skin and a world filled with pollutants, dehydrating heat, and possibly age-accelerating, damaging environmental substances.
Moisturizers include water, plus they hydrate, and soothe the skin. Facial oils or elixirs, made of pure base oils and a mix of essential oils, aren’t technically moisturizers since they contain no water. They will, nevertheless, seal moisture in as well.
This cocoa butter lotion is a non-greasy, deeply moisturizing and hydration rich cream. It doubles as a fabulous after-sun skin conditioner and is especially beneficial for those suffering from sunburn. This homemade lotion using cocoa butter leaves skin very soft and silky with a mild, velvety orange odor. In summer, I use this as one of my personal head-to-toe moisturizers.
- In a pan heat the cocoa butter until just melted
- In another pan, warm the water and glycerin mix, stirring gently.
- Remove both pans from the heat.
- Pour the cocoa butter into a blender and allow it to cool for approximately 20 minutes, or until it begins to turn slightly opaque.
- Remove the blenders lid (alternatively if it has a plastic piece in the center of the lid that can be removed while keeping the lid on you can just remove that plastic piece and keep the lid on)
- Turn the blender on at medium speed
- Slowly drip the water and glycerin mixture into the vortex of swirling cocoa butter.
- Blend for 10 to 15 seconds, or until all the watery mixture has been added, then check the consistency of the cream. It should have a smooth, glossy texture.
- Turn off the blender and the add vitamin E oil (if you can only find Vitamin E capsules at the store – get 200iu gelatin capsules and gently pierce each capsule – squeezing the contents into the blend).
- Blend for another 5-15 seconds
- Apply 1 teaspoon over your entire face, throat, and chest, as necessary for your body.
- Store remaining mixture in a cool and dry area. Do not refrigerate.
- Use within 90 days